Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A New Transfer, New Responsibilites‏

From 7/14/15



To All I Love,

Happy July 4th!!!
Well, it's been 12 days since I last emailed and much has occurred in those 12 days. I honestly don't have a whole lot of time to write because of the 2 weeks of emails that piled up that I had to quickly skim over. I really just want to talk about the miracles in Liberia and everything that is happening but I probably should first quickly update you on what I'm doing this next transfer.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Change in Assignment=New Responsibility:
 
Our zone on July 4th
The Saturday before transfer conference, which would have been July 4th, the AP's called me to extend to me my assignment for this upcoming transfer. I don't know what the Lord see's in me to give me the responsibility of being a District Leader next transfer. I was humbled when they called and informed me that the Lord was asking me to do this, this next transfer. Sister Lin and I discussed about how I would just be a normal missionary the remaining 5 transfers of my mission. But as I have had the opportunity to serve these 7 sisters that are within my stewardship this past week it has been humbling. You recognize that you are just a simple instrument and that as you rely on the Lord he qualifies you, he picks up the slack and helps you to magnify the calling he has given you to the fullest that you can. It's hard, really hard. But I know that with the Lords help and my companion we will be able to help serve, strengthen and edify these sisters. My Companion this transfer, who I will always be grateful for, is from South Africa! She is phenomenal and I have GROWN so much this past week from her. When things have popped up and I have been at a crossroads as to who I should be going on exchanges with first we have, together, been able to counsel with the Lord and with each other. She has given me insights that I just somehow couldn't receive. She is like my 1st and 2nd counselor and secretary combined. Sister Chazen is fresh out of training and well, actually, was my ROOMMATE last transfer!! She is an incredible missionary. When we go on the Square together, which hasn't occurred much because I have either been in meetings, interviews or exchanges, she is always seeking ways to testify to people she meets. The Standard of Excellence that has been set as a mission is 50 quality tours each week which means a gospel principle has been taught in the conversation and we have extended a specific invitation to change. She has worked very hard to pick up my slack. Sunday afternoon when I was meeting with a companionship for weekly interviews she was like, "Sis. Skaggs, can you do it in the North Visitor Center? I have more people I can contact there than the other visitor center. It makes me sad knowing that for the first 2 weeks I won't be with my companion but I look forward to the 2 weeks I will get to work with her between exchanges and follow up exchanges.
 
At Elder Packer's funeral
You will never guess who is in my District! I swear we will be companions someday! SISTER SUGHROUE!! Yah, we just looked at each other when we saw each other when she got back from outbound and was just in shock. We are super excited to go on exchanges though, to be able to learn from each other. She is training this transfer. Her companion is from Virginia and lives about 20-30 minutes from where I served outbound! Crazy, right! I believe (Sis. Eging). Then we have Sis. Sami from what she says is "Heaven on Earth... Fiji". She is the FUNNIEST person ever!! She is Indian but is from Fiji. She is like the class clown - the easiest way to describe her. I didn't think you could have THAT MUCH ENERGY especially on a mission. She is a POWERHOUSE though. She is now in her 5th transfer. I love that sister. When I talked to her companion she was like, "Can you tell her to slow down on the square? I can't keep up with how much she talks to EVERYONE." I have never heard a companion say that before. Sis. Li is from China and is just out of training as well! She is so cute! Then we have Sis. Yunda from Ecuador who is training Sis. Tekurio from Tahiti. So, about half of our district is training or in training right now. I feel so blessed to be with the sisters that I am with right now. Oh and I failed to mention I'm back in the BEEHIVE HOUSE!!! Can I just say we are so busy! In the 3 hour shift yesterday between 3 companionship's we took 16 tours! Back to back nonstop. They said July is our busiest. We already have 4,000 people who have come through for the Month of July. We keep track of how many guests and members come through in each tour and right now we are averaging about 300-400 a day.
 
This new transfer will be an adventure, it will be hard but I'm excited for this opportunity to really serve these Sisters and to help them grow and become what they need to become by the end of this transfer.
 

Miracles in Liberia:
   
A family from UAE

Due to all the meetings and everything last week and transfers I, unfortunately, wasn't able to do a whole lot of teaching. This was probably the biggest stress factor for last week. Just knowing I had people who are counting on me and expecting me to call but I just couldn't. I made up for it this morning by spending 2 1/2 hours calling. They are amazing, and so prepared. We called their Branch President on Sunday and found out the Mission President came to Church on Sunday an hour and a half drive and taught the Investigator Class. The Branch President said the class is just so big. We mentioned to him just how vital it is for us to get them on date so they have a goal to keep in mind to prepare for. As we discussed with him he commented that we should aim for the second week in August and that he would be meeting this weekend to discuss further baptismal plans with the mission president. They hold a baptism every couple of months. The day they are each baptized will be amazing. He made a comment saying we have many people attending the investigator class. I don't know who they all are. He gave us 5 more people on Sunday to work with which means we have 10 people we are responsible for. It will be an amazing next couple of weeks as Sister Chazen and I will have the opportunity to work with each of them and prepare them to make that covenant with their Heavenly Father. Since being on a mission I have recognized the importance of baptism. It scared me at the start of my mission but it's something so sacred. To think that when we are baptized we get to enter the water and have a fresh start with God and to be able to make a promise with him that will allow us to accomplish our purpose on earth. We taught Cyrus this morning and mentioned how excited he was to be baptized to be able to have the Holy Ghost and that when he receives the Holy Ghost it will help him live the Word of God. The work is pressing forward out there. One of our AP's mentioned to me today that she met the new Mission President a couple weeks ago when he was here and he said even though we don't have missionaries in the Liberia the work hasn't changed. You would wonder how is that possible??? One answer MEMBERS. They are the key. Cyrus' biggest concern is to understand the scriptures so he can go out and teach with everyone else and invite them to Church. No wonder we always have so many people to teach from there because the members are doing their job. Member missionaries are tremendous tools. And as we recognize that sacred responsibility that we have we will work mighty miracles within the kingdom of God.

My friends, the Secor's, from my home
town!

Well a lot has happened. But know that I am safe and that I love each of you. The work is progressing, and the kingdom of God is moving forth. It is up to you to decide if you are in the game or out. The Lord needs us all though.

I love you soo much! Family enjoy your East coast trip! I will be with you in spirit but I look forward to the pictures you will send :) Love you! Fly safely and enjoy your time. Seek for ways to serve Heavenly Father's children through simple means of sharing your testimony which is something the four of you aren't afraid of doing.

LOVE YOU ALL!!
Sister Skaggs
 


  

A package from Germany
 
"Real" German Chocolate!
 





Sister Ryan and Sister Skaggs
Hanging out in the break area


 
Part of our zone in Brighton
Brighton, Utah
My MTC companion

Yummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment