Saturday, January 17, 2015

Guess who is going OUTBOUND?? ME‏

Note from Sis. Skaggs mom -

I hope you enjoy her letters each week and can feel the love she has for our Heavenly Father and his son, our Savior, Jesus Christ and the excitement she has toward serving her mission.  God bless you all!


Here's this week's letter:


 
I love you ALL.... even if I don't know you!

Where oh Where Do You Think Heavenly Father Needs ME to Go???

Okay so I cannot believe that I am actually going OUTBOUND this TRANSFER!! But at the same time Heavenly Father has been preparing me these past couple of weeks for it. So by this point my parents and brothers have plastered Facebook, Instagram and Twitter as to where I am going so I probably don't even need to say it. Okay fine I guess I will tell you.

Let me read you my new Mission Call!!!

"Dear Sister Skaggs,

This is to advise that effective with the next transfer, you have been temporarily re-assigned to serve in the Virginia, Richmond Mission. You will serve there for a period of two transfers. This will be a wonderful opportunity for you to see firsthand how wards and stakes must work together with full-time missionaries and their investigators. This experience will make you an even more effective missionary when you return to the mission or your primary call, the Utah Salt Lake City Temple Square Mission."


There is more to the letter. I sent pictures of my letter so you can look at the pictures. But can you believe it? I am going to VIRGINIA!! I'm beyond excited for this new step in my mission. I have no idea what awaits me over there but I know that this is where the Lord needs me for the next 3 months. There is no one here on Temple Square that I will benefit these next 3 months. But someone over there needs me and needs me now.

The funny thing about this is I have felt strongly this past transfer that I was going outbound. EVERYONE said there is absolutely no way President would be sending me out this early considering I'm only going into my 5th transfer and most sisters are going in their 7th, 8th, and 9th transfers. I don't know. I just had this feeling that it was my time to go. And it's weird, too, because for personal study the past 2 weeks I have been watching the District and have been studying as to how those missionaries were able to find [people to teach], since it's a little different here [on Temple Square]. I have been watching all of the episodes and have been really paying close attention to how they interacted in person with members and investigators. It's funny because last week when I e-mailed you I told you to pretty much expect a phone call from me next week informing you of me going Outbound. But, at that point I had no clue I was going I just felt like I would be going. It reminds me of when I got my original mission call and I told you, Dad, that I would be going to Temple Square for my mission but you told me to knock it off [guessing where I would be going]. And then 3 days later I received my mission call and I was going here to Temple Square. I just had this thought and then feeling that I was going outbound, it was exactly like when I first got my mission call to here. And what makes it even crazier is the night before I received my new assignment I was looking online at missions throughout the country and I was like "I think it would be really awesome if I went Outbound to the Virginia Richmond Mission." And who knew that just 12 hours later I would open an envelope that said that I was being re-assigned to that specific mission? I don't know why Heavenly Father allowed me to have those thoughts or impressions. I think for me it is a confirmation that I'm supposed to be going to Richmond, VA. Of course, it's going to be hard, but I know it's going to be one of the best experiences I have had so far on my mission. It will be different, that's for sure, on many different levels but I'm excited! I have never worked with Elders before or have gone to a family ward every Sunday as a missionary or have had meals in members homes frequently so it will be a lot to adjust to but I'm ready for this new adventure. I think the part I'm most excited for is for being able to work with members in regards to missionary work. Oh, and having members as member presents for EVERY lesson! It is so hard to have that happen here on Temple Square and it drives me insane when I have to put 1 for my weekly goal here. Oh and I'm excited for being able to go to church with my investigators and being able to meet them in person. Haha - I will be dragging ALL of my investigators to church whether they like it or not. No longer will I have to scramble at 8 o'clock at night to see if they attended church so we can put it in our numbers. From now on I will be able to know right after Church!!

In regards to my flight Itinerary, I will be leaving Temple Square at 6:30 AM on Wednesday Jan. 21st. I will fly out of Salt Lake at 8:30 AM. I will arrive in Atlanta at 2:15 P.M. I will have a 1 1/2 hour layover then leave Atlanta at 3:40 P.M. and then I will arrive in Richmond at 5:15 P.M. That is the basics as to what is happening. I will know more later on. I will have 15 minutes to email next Monday or Tuesday and so I will tell you more about it then.

An Update on the People I'm Leaving Behind:

John (Cape Town, South Africa) - So he is getting ready to move in 2 weeks to Johannesburg for work, which is so exciting because it will be so much easier for him to attend church. He is a leader in his church right now and so it is a little tough for him to attend church right now with him being a leader. But when he gets to Johannesburg he will have a fresh start and work won't be so overwhelming. GUESS WHAT??? He read parts of the Book of Mormon!!! I was sooo HAPPY!! I was afraid I was going to have to drop him [as an "investigator"] if he hadn't done either of those. But he told me, "I started reading the Book of Mormon on Tuesday. I have read a page a day and I just left off at the part that talks about the different sections." I was so happy! And get this, he is reading it online because he doesn't have a personal copy since the local missionaries haven't been to him yet. He is still wanting to learn more and I got the time difference wrong so I called him later than I was supposed to. But he was like "I have been waiting for your call for an hour now. I was going to go to my friends house but I decided to wait for you to call me." He is so awesome! I will be transferring him to one of the new South African Sisters who will be coming in this transfer. I can't wait to hear how things go when I get back in April!

Wendell (Salt Miner from Ohio) - Well I felt bad for just dropping Wendell and I felt like I needed to call him. So I called him and after 1 month he finally answered!! But he told me, "Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to help me but I don't feel the Mormon Church is for me. I have been trying to feel God's love but I just can't." That was one of the first times I have had an investigator drop me. He was so sweet about it. To be honest, if he would have just kept the commitments he would have been able to feel of God's love. I told him I would be going to a different mission and he was super excited for me. I told him I would call him sometime again before I left my mission and he said, "I would appreciate that, Jennifer. I look forward to when you call again. I will keep you in my prayers and think about you occasionally. I appreciate everything you have done for me."

Tracy and Michael (Couple from Florida, getting married next week) - Unfortunately we have not talked with them this past week. Things have fallen through. However, we are calling them tomorrow so we are excited about that. We will find out more tomorrow as to how their progress is going and to who we will transfer them to. Things are a little hard because they will be getting married next Thursday at Disney World.

Julio (Recent Convert from Pennsylvania) - Okay so I just love him! He is just funny as can be. I haven't talked to him in like a week. But I will for sure talk with him before I go outbound. He is doing well. He is meeting with the Elders every week and is still going to church and is loving it. When we talked last time he said he was sending me a letter in the mail but I still haven't gotten it but it usually takes sometime. I'm crossing my fingers it gets here before I leave for Virginia but it's okay because Temple Square will just forward all of my mail to me. I don't think I will transfer Julio to anyone. I will just let him know I will call him again in 3 months. I haven't prayed about it yet as to if I should transfer him to someone. So, yah, Julio is doing well!

Raymond (Recent Convert from Arkansas) - He is doing well. I don't hear from him as often because I know he is doing well and I know he doesn't really need me communicating with him. He sent me a text yesterday and informed me he is getting his Patriarchal Blessing on Sunday! He is super excited about that. I know he is because we talked about that a couple months ago and he was super excited to get his.

Brown Family (Recent Converts from Arizona) - They are just doing amazing! They are continuing to just thrive. Melissa (the mom) had a question about an aspect of the Gospel that was discussed in Sunday School that she didn't quite understand so we explained it a little be more as to what it was. I'm kind of sad that I will have to transfer her to someone else. I will miss being able to talk with her every Sunday but I know there is a time and a place for everything and I know that Heavenly Father doesn't need me to be in contact with her anymore.

My MTC Investigator... Remember LEAH!!!

Okay so you remember Leah from the MTC!! Guess what? I saw her on Sunday!! She was here on Temple Square and even came to church with us on Sunday!! I received a text in the morning from another Temple Square Sister saying that Leah was coming to church. I just about died when I read that text. I looked at Sister Bryuzgina and was like "We need to hurry and get to church." She walked in right when we started the opening song. Afterwards, I went over and gave her a huge hug. She has no idea just how much of an impact she has had on my mission. I love her so much! I got left behind so I had to stay with her and another companionship and so I got to talk with her and hear how things were going for like 30 minutes. When I was leaving she said, "I'm glad you are here." It just made my day. I can't believe it was almost 6 months ago that I met her. Can you believe it?! I was at the MTC with her 6 MONTHS ago! I wish I could see her more often. But she will always be a part of my life, whether she likes it or not. (I wrote that because I know she will read this, because she told me that she still reads my emails). Leah, I love you and I'm so grateful to have you in my life. It truly made my day on Sunday seeing you! Haha - remember Ether 12:27 (Inside Joke) ;).

You're Serving a MISSION? And you're from WHERE?

So get this, on Saturday I was covering for a companionship at Map Desk and this guy walks up with his family. We start talking and we find out the young man that is with him is from SYRIA!! He is the FIRST MISSIONARY from Syria to be serving a mission. We were in complete shock when we heard about it. I was like "Wait, so where are you from?" He says, "I'm from Syria." Yah, ummm, the Church isn't IN Syria!! He and his family are the ONLY members in Syria. I was like "How did it all work?" He tells me, "My mom became a member in Romania when she went to school and then she moved back home. We escaped from Syria a couple of months ago and now live in Lebanon." He was telling me stories and stuff, it was just crazy. Just imagine if you were in the missionary department and missionary forms came across your table and it was from someone in Syria. I would be like "Wait. What?" He is super excited though, to share the Gospel. If you remember Elder Callisters talk about a little girl from the Oct. General Conference who knew so much about the Gospel.....that's his little sister. It goes to show that despite what's happening around you, like literally what's happening around you, you truly can live a Gospel centered life and raise your children in a Gospel centered environment. So that was pretty neat!


Helaman 10:4-5:
I love these verses. They are so powerful and they remind me as to who I want to be when it comes to being a missionary and just in general! We truly should be firm in the Gospel and should be dedicated to sharing it and doing the will of our Father. I love the footnotes on unwearyingness - "Dedication, Dependability, Priesthood, Magnifying Callings and Steadfastness". How are we doing such a thing? Are we dedicated to the cause? Are we dedicated to magnifying our callings not just as being missionaries but callings He gives us within his church as parents, children, friends? Of course we aren't perfect. But I love the blessings that come as we dedicate our time to doing what he has asked of us. He says, "I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works;" Are we dedicated to building His Kingdom? Are we fearing man or are we looking to Him and His will?

I love you all!! Don't ever forget who you are! The Gospel is true!

Love,
Sister Skaggs


No comments:

Post a Comment