Sunday, November 23, 2014

It's Almost Christmas Time, 10 year old boys, & Me Patient???‏

Family and Friends,

So I didn't really outline my week like I usually do so at the moment I have no idea what I'm going to write. But I bet I will eventually. This was another really good week though!
 
Exchanges:
 
Fun during comp study
More FUN during
comp study
Exchanges were amazing! We have some truly wonderful sisters here and I feel so blessed to be able to have gone on exchanges with them. We have 4 companionships all together in the District and so I went on 6 exchanges overall. Oh, so funny story. ,I was on exchanges with a sister who is in her first transfer her name is Sister Quidiman. She is from Chile. She was getting ready to go to bed and she spilled her makeup remover all over the desk and floor. When I saw it happen I gently helped her clean it up and was just really calm with her, even though these desks were brand new and the mission is very protective with what goes on or in the desk. I was a little worried that something could get ruined. Well, Sister Quidiman looks over at me and said, "Sister, you are so patient. How are you so patient?" I just started laughing so hard. "Haha, you think I'm patient? That's a funny story, I'm beyond patient." She was like, "How are you not patient?" I'm like, "Oh trust me. I'm not a patient person." It was just really funny because reality is I'm not all that patient and so it was just really comical that she thought I was patient.
My comp looking
good for the camera
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Work:
 
To be honest, the work has been going pretty slow lately. The Square has been beyond dead the past week or two. I think this morning I saw maybe 5 people. So it's been a bit of a challenge finding new investigators. We have mormon.org and it hasn't been that bad but we are finding that right now a lot of it is "trolls" or just members needing help with various things. This is usually expected because we are in our down season here in regards to people who aren't LDS coming to the Square. It will be like this for a couple more months (except during Christmas, of course). We will be VERY BUSY starting next Friday but a lot of people who come will be members of the church. But we aren't letting that get us down. Even though its been a tad bit slow we are determined to change that. We are now finally back together (me and my "regular" companion) and can really focus on bringing our numbers back up. I haven't talked to Wendell in a week so I don't know what happened last Thursday with the local missionaries. I will more than likely call him tomorrow. Julio - oh gotta love him. He is doing great! He attended church again on Sunday and is always super excited to tell me about it. He mentioned that he always tries to hide and not pay attention when they ask for someone to say the prayer, that way he doesn't have to say it. He told me, "The elders, yah the elders volunteered me to say the closing prayer during Priesthood. I never say it because I always turn my head and pretend I'm busy." I got a really good laugh from that. Haha gotta love him! I'm hoping someday I can meet him. He just cracks me up. I wish you could be on the phone with me when I call him. You would just be laughing the whole time. He is originally from Puerto Rico but now lives in Pennsylvania. Anyway, I don't think anything else has happened.
Raymond at his baptism
Oh yah, I forgot to mention, so Raymond, my other recent convert (I will attach a picture), received the Priesthood on Sunday!! He came on "chat" super excited to tell me all about it. He was baptized 3 weeks ago but apparently some of the paperwork got lost so that's why it took 3 weeks (he was waiting for his membership #). So that was really exciting.

 
 
Package:
 
Mom, you said it was nothing big. Well FYI I cried!! Receiving that isn't something small for a missionary. Thank you so much for sending it. Michael I love you! Thanks for the idea. It made my day Broski! It's something I will always treasure. It brought tears to my eyes as I was looking through the pictures. Haha, I couldn't stop laughing though when I saw the picture with Uncle Mark sitting on mom's lap. You know the picture I'm talking about. Or seeing dad's shirt cut with part of the shirt in Brandon's nose from his bloody nose. I miss you 4 so much and will never forget the Family trip. It was one of my favorites and I'm so glad I was able to spend those 2 weeks before I entered the MTC with some of my Best Friends, aka - my family. I love you so much! Again, thank you so much for the book. You did a very good job! I was not expecting that at all!! All the sisters were just amazed to with it. (I attached pictures).
 
10 year old boys and a Finding Faith in Christ DVD:
 
Dad, as you know the phone and I aren't best friends. I like to find every excuse in the book to not having to call people. Sunday I decided okay I will do this I will take an inbound call (someone who calls into Mormon.org wanting something). So I took my first call and guess who it was?? Yup 2 ten year old boys and a nine year old boy calling in for a Finding Faith in Christ DVD. I thought it was a prank but their parents said it was okay. It was all just a little weird. They kept yelling over who was who on the phone and kept asking me when they would get their DVD's. They wanted them ASAP. Haha, so that was a first! I asked how they found out about the Finding Faith in Christ DVD and they mentioned two guys came to the door looking for their dad and gave them the card. They were excited because they had a new bookmark but then they saw a number on the back so they called it and asked for the DVD. I have no idea what will end up happening. A usual 5 minute phone call for a DVD was a 25 minute phone call. So even 10 year old boys are interested in Finding Faith in Christ DVD's.
 
Pass Along Cards:
 
They really do work, believe it or not! I can't tell you how often we get chats or calls from individuals wanting to know more or wanting a DVD because missionaries just handed them the pass along card. It's funny, sometimes people come on chat and I say, "So what can we do for you today?" Their reply, "I don't really know. Some guys just handed me this card and told me to come on here." So, people really do follow through. Pass along cards are great tools to use!!! You should use them! :)
 
IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS TIME ON TEMPLE SQUARE!  


Christmas training
Are you coming to see the lights?!?! I'm so excited!! We had Christmas training last Thursday for Relief Society. Yes, there is training for Christmas time. We have about 8 different assignments that we needed to be trained on because starting next Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, we will have thousands of people here every night for about 6 weeks. They have been putting up all the Christmas stuff since July. I'm so excited for the lights to come on. It will be beyond tiring though. They say it's like General Conference (in regards to the crowds) every night from 5-10. Once the lights turn on we get brand new schedules and we go on Christmas schedules. We will get only 30 minutes for dinner and we will be on the Square multiple times a week till 10 pm which means we won't be in bed till about 11:30 every night. Oh, and that reminds me, we will go on normal P-Day schedule while the lights are on. So P-Day will be from 10 am - 6 pm instead of 1 pm - 9 pm. That will be a little different because I'm used to P-day starting at 1 but they need all sisters to be on the Square at night time because of the huge crowds we will have. So we have to go to normal p-day time while the lights are on.
 
Savior of The World:
 
Getting ready to preview "Savior of the World" movie
I just can't express the gratitude for my Savior, Jesus Christ and everything he did for me personally. We had the privilege of seeing Savior of The World last night at the Little Theater in the Conference Center because we will be inviting guests to see it. The producer and director of the show wanted us to know what it was all about for when we send our guests to see it. I wish everyone could see it. It really gave me a deeper testimony of my Savior and everything that occurred leading up to his birth and resurrection. I truly do know he is my Savior. He is my big brother and most of all is the Son of God. He took upon himself all of the sins we would ever commit, all the sorrow we would ever experience, all the heartache we would go through. He did so because he loves us. After watching the play, my appreciation, love and testimony for what he did deepened so much. I feel so blessed to know who He is and to having that simple understanding of what the Atonement is all about. It's real. I have never used the Atonement more in my life than I have on the mission. I'm beyond grateful for him and for his sacrifice for me. I love him so much and sometimes wish he didn't have to suffer for me. But I know that that was part of the plan and he did so because he loves me and wants me to return to my Father in Heaven. He knows that the only way that is possible is through that sacrifice. He is the only way back home. I can testify that as we follow His example in all things, as we learn to apply the Atonement in our lives and strive to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ we will be able to return to live with our Father in Heaven again. He loves you and wants you to return home.

 
This Gospel is true! There is no denying it. I just cant express my gratitude to my Father in Heaven enough for allowing me this opportunity to come on a mission to learn, to grow and most importantly to serve his children. This is beyond hard! But I wouldn't trade it for the world! Life was never meant to be easy! Family and friends I love you so much! And hope you each are doing well!! Continue to be who your Heavenly Father needs you to be! Don't give up on him! Love you!!!

 
Till next week!!
Sister Skaggs
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment