Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Our Gift to Him


From 12/24/15
 
 
To All I Love!

medium-nativityMerry Christmas!! Can't believe that time of year is already here again. It seems as if last Christmas was just yesterday. Who knew this year was going to go by that quickly. I hope you each have a Merry Christmas!
 
 

Christmas for Liberia:
In my previous emails I have talked to you a lot about those we have had the opportunity to teach and work with in Liberia and how they were scheduled to be baptized this Saturday. Well, on Sunday we called President Harmon, their Branch President, to talk to him about how things are going with their progression towards baptism. He mentioned that the local missionaries decided that it would be better to move the baptism to the 2nd of Jan. We are so excited for that move. A lot of the solid people we have been working with, unfortunately, haven't been able to meet with the elders because they have just been swamped with all they have had to do. President Harmon mentioned that more people will be eligible to be baptized on the 2nd than on the 26th, which it makes sense. Many of those who are prepared the missionaries aren't really focusing on but are focusing on those who still need to be taught a little bit more. Wouldn't that be the life of a missionary? You have too many people to teach, it takes you over two weeks to go and meet with those who are prepared. As of Sunday we talked to Siannes and asked if the missionaries had come and talked to her and she said no but she met them at church on Sunday. They would like to come and visit her this week. We are talking to her on Saturday so hopefully by then the Elders would have been by to see her.
 
When we talked to President Harmon on Sunday he said right now we are expecting 35 people to be baptized but if we wait till the 2nd the Elders said more should be prepared to be baptized. We asked about skyping the baptism and he was like "I'm so sorry. It was on my mind at church today but I forgot to ask the Senior Couple and Elders what that is and if it is possible." Hopefully it will work out but if not that is okay. He said, "Can we send you a picture of all the converts before the baptism as well?" I was like, "That will not be a problem." Did you know President Harmon was the first convert in Kakata? Back in 1998! He mentioned to us that they now have 260 on the rolls and about 200 attending church every week and they may split the branch into two separate branches soon in Kakata! The work is hastening in all corners of the world. They are even thinking of maybe making it District headquarters in the near future. It literally brought me to tears hearing all of this and hearing how the Lord is hastening his work in all corners of the world. It is truly an amazing time to be a missionary and in the Lord's service. Now I just wish I could extend my mission 6 months and go to Liberia for my last 6 months. I would be the happiest missionary in the WORLD! I told President Harmon that it is my absolute dream to go to Kakata someday to meet all of them. Now I just pray that all will go through for the baptism on the 2nd of next month and that these children of God will be able to make that covenant with him.

 
The Means of Technology:
Enjoying the yummies!!
Okay so the last time I talked about Anna I made a mistake and said Jenna... If you didn't catch that. Her name is Jenna and not Anna. Well we have been texting off and on this past week with her and it hasn't been as productive because she is super busy with being home for Christmas break but she texted us the other day saying that she is face timing the missionaries in Orlando while she is on break and they are teaching her through face time and helping her read the Book of Mormon! Don't you just love what technology can do when it comes to the hastening of the Lord's work! We asked how her Book of Mormon reading has been going and she said that she is now in 2 Nephi 17. Which means she has read in about 2-3 weeks over 17 chapters in the Book of Mormon. She is still happier than ever and is preparing to be baptized on the 30th of this next month. It's special to see the different means by which the Lord will hasten his work. It shows that the Lord is in the drivers seat and he is doing all he can to get all of our Father in Heavens children back home. You would be surprised as to how many people are actually prepared right now. This work is true and it is indeed hastening.
 
 
What is your Gift?
A lot lately I have been able to really ponder more purposefully the importance and meaning behind Christmas. Something that has crossed my mind a lot lately is what is our Gift to the Savior? He has already given us the greatest gift in the world because of the love he has for each of us. As we truly come to love the Lord what will be our gift to him? TOMORROW is the day throughout the world gifts will be exchanged. What is the gift you will give the Savior? It isn't too late, but with the love we have for him we should extend to him a gift that will enable each of us to draw nearer to him. Our Father in Heaven loved us so much that he gave us the greatest gift and we can read about that in John 3:16. And our Savior loved us so much that he gave his life so that we may return to our Father in Heaven. What is something we can give as a gift to the Savior, something we can't take back but shows the love we have for him? A gift that will allow us to draw closer to him?

 

Enjoying treats from home
 
Well I have to get going now but know that I love you all! I look forward to being able to see you each again here soon. I feel blessed to be surrounded by such special people. I hope you each have a Merry Christmas tomorrow!
 
Know that I love you and I love my Savior, I'm grateful for him and his birth which has enabled me to return back to the presence of my Father in Heaven again someday.

Love Always,
Sister Skaggs

 
 

Help me! I'm melting.....

Yummy!!



Sharing the snowmen hot
chocolate stirrers from Mom
Sharing the love....


Sharing the love, sent from home.....






....the cookies are loved by everyone!!




Everyone's eating the cookies from
home!


No comments:

Post a Comment