Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Our True Identity


From 10/05/15
To All I love,

In the basement of the Relief Society
building
Wow!! is all that I can say about this past week! It was such an amazing week and I'm so tired right now. Doesn't help that we just had General Conference. There is A TON that I want to share with you about this past week and the things that Lord allows us to be used for. Bear with me with this letter. I'm hoping I can just let the spirit do all the typing since I'm physically just drained right now. My eyes and head are just exhausted but for good causes. Well, shall we get started!?
 
 
 
Understanding Our True Identity:
This phrase right above is the key phrase that rings in my head. In all aspects of life it is crucial that we know and understand who we are as Children of God. That we understand our true identity and self worth as children of royal birth. I have done a lot of pondering about this particular topic as I have had to seek council already as to how I can help sisters recognize their self worth as Daughters of God. But this understanding is for each of us. It made me reflect on how I know that I'm a Daughter of God, how did I personally gain that conversion? How did you find that out?
Our planners for Conf weekend -
on the Square ALL DAY
 
My personal answer comes through the way I feel my Father in Heaven's presence in my life. It all starts with a simple prayer. Humbling ourselves and then kneeling before the Lord pouring our heart to him in sincere prayer. We talk to him in prayer and he answers us through the scriptures as the spirit testifies to us that both of these things are true. This particular process has been the anchor for me in my life. When a trial arises in my life, the first thing I do is get on my knees asap to talk to Heavenly Father and then open up his book. His words are the scriptures. When we take the time to read, ponder and pray the scriptures we are hearing what it is our Father in Heaven needs us to distinctly know as we open our heart to the spirit.
 
This past Thursday I had the privilege of sitting down with the sisters to really take the time to get to know them and to understand their concerns and needs. One of the common trends I recognized was the need of love that we each need to feel from our Father in Heaven. And it comes as we take the time to get on our knees, and then to open our hearts to the spirit as we read the scriptures. Serving these sisters over the course of the next 6 weeks and even afterwards is a treat. To see them blossom into the Daughters of God that Heavenly Father needs them to become is going to be so special.
 
Ready, Set, Go... ITS CONFERENCE WEEKEND!!!
Members from the Cook Islands - they
saved money for TWO YEARS so
they could attend Gen Conf
How was Conference Weekend for you?!?! Isn't it the best weekend ever!?! I have to say so myself. I've said this before but for those who got to watch all 5 sessions I'm incredibly jealous!! I have only seen the Saturday Afternoon session and I look forward to after the mission when I can watch this session or hopefully get to read pieces of it here and there before I go home. But the neatest thing is on Temple Square they play it over the loud speakers which is SUCH A BLESSING! Why?!?! Well because as we walk the grounds we can tune our ears to what is being said and hear bits and pieces of it. For the most part we don't hear pretty much anything but we can pick up on some stuff. One of my favorite parts would be Saturday Morning. My companion and I were over near the NVC (North Visitor Center) and I heard one of the speakers make comments about the Holy Ghost and then share various examples. It made me stop to ponder in my own heart about how we allow the Holy Ghost to be an influence in our lives. How do I allow the Holy Ghost to change me?
 
Becky from New Zealand from
my Mom's mission
Becky bringing me New Zealand
chocolate
During the Saturday Afternoon session another Sister and I went into the Standby line because we had given up our tickets to other sisters because there wasn't enough for us this time for various reasons. Anyways, we got to listen to the ENTIRE SESSION! Elder Hales keyed in on some very valuable points that, well, ultimately calls each young adult to repentance at some point or another. He called me, as a missionary, to repentance. But I loved the one simple quote of "reach up, not across". Conference is an amazing time for us to be spiritually fed and edified as we have the desire. One thing I noticed as I walked across the Square - keying in on bits and pieces - is how much they emphasized the women and mothers of the Church and the Holy Ghost.
The crowds at Gen Conf
The crowds and the anti's

General Conference weekend is a blessing, and I'm so excited for April's conference when I can sit on the couch at home with my family and really just soak in the spirit all weekend listening to the voice of the spirit.
 
At this point, because of the physical and spiritual demand of the weekend, I'm exhausted. We had to be on the square at 7:30 in the morning and were unable to leave till at least 9 P.M. and then this morning we had Mission Leadership Council from 8:15 this morning till 1:20 this afternoon. Then emailing for about 2 hours and then grocery shopping! I'm soo tired. Yay for SLEEP IN DAY tomorrow!!! We don't have to be on square till 10 A.M. which means I'm not waking up till 9 A.M. Looking forward to sleeping, if my body allows me to.
 
General Conference Miracle:
Tom - our Conf miracle
Saturday morning was the start to Conference craziness. This year the standby line had literally tripled in size compared to the previous year. We were going around just contacting the guests in line. As we were doing so, for some reason I just couldn't feel the spirit which was really bothering me. I looked over at Sister Gomes and motioned to her that I really needed to pray and to seek to invite the spirit. After we went into a room and knelt down together and invited the spirit we decided to go back outside and to talk with the guests/members. We immediately looked over at the Priesthood Statues and saw this gentleman sitting under one of the trees. As we approached him we just started doing a little bit of 'How to Begin Teaching' with him. A long story short, he is an Evangelical pastor from Minnesota who was curious in learning more. We talked with him about the Book of Mormon and he asked if he could have one. We went and gave him his own copy and other material and invited him to stay in contact. He gladly accepted and then we invited him to go into one of the theaters and to listen to Conference for a few moments. He was okay with that. Something that stands out to me is the importance of allowing the spirit to guide us in all that we do. It is crucial to allow the spirit to lead us.
 

Bob - my best friend - rocking
out in his raised wheelchair
listening to Gen Conf

We have to get going but I invite you to ponder over the messages from General Conference. As you do so the spirit will testify to you of what you need to know and will testify to you what you are to do next. Know that I love you each so much and feel blessed to have you in my life! Have a great week and remember to feast upon the spirit!

Love Always,
Sister Skaggs
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Watching Gen Conf from the Tabernacle
since we gave up our seats in the Conf
Center

Visiting with members on
the Square during Conf



​
Sis. Ferguson - one of my trainers -
she completed her mission

Saying goodbye to Sister Lin
Sister Ryan going home


Saying goodbye to Sis. Bryuzgina
 

No comments:

Post a Comment