Thursday, September 11, 2014

Heavenly Father's Children‏

I love you all!!


Can I just say I LOVE IT HERE! I love the people I get to meet everyday, the sisters I get to work with, the schedule I have, the opportunities I'm given and I love the fact that I am a Missionary!

Sister Casagrande and Sister Skaggs

A gift from Sis. Casagrande to Sis. Skaggs
The hardest part about writing these e-mails is I have no idea where to start.
 
Hmmm, I will start with my companion! So Sister Casagrande has 4 transfers remaining and she hasn't gone 'Outbound' yet. Every Sister here goes on what is called Outbound during their time here. 
Some of the Sisters from Temple Square

 
Since we don't have the opportunity to work with members, ward councils etc. The Leaders of the church and our Mission Presidency have asked that all Temple Square sisters be given the opportunity to go to a different mission for 2 transfers (3 months). At the start of the transfer President Poulsen said, "If you're training and your class goes Outbound you will go outbound after 
you finish training." Then he mentioned that the leaders of the church would like the sisters to finish at least their last 2 transfers here. Well, here is the dilemma. If she finishes training me she will only have 3 transfers remaining which would mean she would only be back here for one transfer. But if she only trains me for one transfer she would be back for 2 transfers. This whole transfer I felt strongly that she would go Outbound. She has been joking that she wouldn't be going Outbound etc. We find out usually the Thursday before transfers - so this upcoming Thursday, 9/11/14. These past couple of days she keeps telling me, "I want to go to New York! I want to go outbound to New York!" Funny story.....So she just logged onto her e-mail and you will never guess what happened... Her first two emails said "New Jersey Morristown Mission". Her Outbound mission e-mailed her and the new sisters coming in a list of things they need to have for next week. So she accidentally found out 3 days early. Two things with this is her mission borders New York and she is going to Hannah Harris's mission!!!! Yah I about clobbered her when I read she was going to Hannah's mission. So Hannah look out for Sister Casagrande from France!!!!!! I told her to find you and say hi and then give you a massive hug!!! So what does this mean?!?! I will be getting a follow-up trainer. I will find out next Monday who my new trainer is. Gotta love Temple Square/Transfer life!

The work here is going amazing! I'm loving every moment of it! The thing I love most about being here is ALL the different people I get to meet everyday from all corners of the world. This past week alone I met many people from China, France, America, New Zealand, Turkey, Israel, Moldovia, Russia, Mexico, Chile, Canada, Sweden, Denmark, England, Singapore etc. And it's so neat to see that all of these different people from all corners of the world are all Heavenly Father's children! That no matter what trials we have had in life we all have one thing in common and that is we have a Father in Heaven who loves us all equally.
 
Scott:

 
I love Scott!! So last week Sister Casagrande and I were just sitting down to eat lunch when we receive a text that said "1 Eng and he is golden." Well when you hear that your ears perk up and you drop what you are doing and go. We went up and met this man who started telling us about how he dropped everything and came here to Salt Lake to be baptized. He mentioned that he always had this draw to Salt Lake and to the Mormon church but for certain reasons couldn't come. We began talking to him and he was accepting everything we were telling him and had this strong desire to be baptized etc. Well I was in shock that anything like this could happen, but I didn't let it go to my head because I figured there is no way, this is too good to be true. He didn't have anything with him really because he had left everything he owned. We taught him about Joseph Smith and showed him the Priesthood Statues. We taught him about the Book of Mormon and invited him to begin reading it that night. He was truly excited to read it. Well, we met with him the following day and I was still very skeptical about all of this. We re-established his expectations for us and told him of what would be happening and was really excited. But then reality started to set in. He didn't have any place to live and didn't have a job here and so all of the practical things started to interfere with his ability to learn (not having a ward, a bishop, a house, a job, local missionaries etc.). We set a baptismal date though with him for October and told him we would be here as guides to help him prepare and to learn all that he needed to learn to be ready to be baptized next month. The following day we met with him and he told us that he couldn't handle being here and that he needed to go home and that he would come back when he could establish himself. At first I was completely heart broken because I was thinking about how much this was affecting me and I knew that if he left who knows what would happen with him. I truly developed this love for him as I started to see him as a Son of God. I knew just how much the gospel would help him. We invited him to take the time that night to truly pray to ask if that's what was supposed to happen. I prayed that night that I would be at peace the next day with whatever decision was made. I really wanted him to stay but I knew that it was whatever heavenly Father needed done. The next day we met with him again and he informed us that he was going home. I wasn't happy about it but I knew that the choice he had made was correct. We gave him our contact info and so we will see what happens. It was hard to see him walk away out of the visitors center knowing that I, more than likely, wasn't going to talk to him again. I wanted so badly to be the missionary to teach him. But I realized that its not what we want, it's about what the Lord wants. I know that I did what I was supposed to do, I did all that was required of me.
 
That's the hardest part about this mission. We meet all these different people from all across the world, we talk or come in contact with a couple hundred people a day. And it breaks my heart because on the inside I'm like "I know this gospel is true, your Heavenly Father wants you to come home. Ughhh I just wish you would accept this." It's hard to see all these people as children of God and to see them not accept this. Sometimes I love agency and sometimes I just don't like it. Giving tours is the hardest especially when people question you about what you believe or they don't want to stay in contact. Your heart just goes out to them. But you know the seed was planted and someday it will eventually begin to grow.
 
Tours:

 
Temple Square - my "home"
I FINALLY passed off on tours!! Yay!! Here on Temple Square we have to give a tour to your Zone Leaders and they will see how well you can use "How to begin teaching", be balanced with your companion, bridge the history to the gospel, use your resources, etc. Depending on how well you do all of that depends on if they pass you off or if they ask you to work on something and then try again later. Really it's just a way for them to show you things you could do better. The first time we didn't pass and they asked us to work on "How To Begin Teaching" more. So we did and well, Saturday I finally passed! And the neat thing is when you pass you and your companion get a free meal at the Lion House!
The Conference Center
Hmmmm, sooo I never really understood just how BIG the Catholic church was!! On about 98% of my tours the people are Catholic or I have 1 or 2 people in the Tour who are Catholic. The one question I'm ALWAYS asked is "What is the difference between your church and the Catholic church?" My response, "Well, first off, we believe we have a living Prophet upon the earth today..." I love the people here. I love the questions I'm asked on any given day. We have been asked some pretty interesting questions. But most of all I love the people even if they sometimes strongly disagree with us or ask us some of the hardest questions in my life. But hey, that's why I love having the Holy Ghost by my side!! Why?? Because when I'm asked a really hard question/deep doctrine question I just plead to know what to say and things tend to be okay. But I have only been here for 6 weeks...

Sister McConkie:

 
Sunday, as we were walking to the North Visitors Center, we saw this elderly lady who literally looked like an angel! We started talking to her and everything she shared with us was just amazing. She said, "I'm Sister McConkie." I'm like wait, don't we have a former apostle by that name. When we had to go I asked her if she was related to a former apostle and she said "Yes. Bruce R. McConkie is my brother-in-law. I married his brother." I love her, she is the sweetest!




We found this beautiful young woman with a light shining around her within the first 5 minutes of walking onto Temple Square. Sister Skaggs told us a couple of stories she's experienced in just the past 48 hours and Todd and I were bawling. What an awesome young woman touching people's hearts from around the world every day! Ya done good, Deborah n Don !!! She's a special one, that Jennifer!❤️❤️❤️
Todd and Robin Cecil (friends from O.C.) with Sister Skaggs
I love being here! I love the fact that I have 180 new sisters/best friends who will remain lifelong friends. I love that I get to see them EVERYDAY! I love being a missionary! I love my Heavenly Father, my Savior and this gospel more than life itself! And I would never in a million years deny the things I know to be true. I feel so blessed to have this gospel in my life and to know that I can return home to my Heavenly Father. I look forward to the day when I get to embrace my Heavenly Father and hear Him say, "Jennifer, you're home."
 
 I want you all to know that I know with out a shadow of doubt that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in its fullness to the earth again and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I can testify that the Book of Mormon was written for us for our day. I can testify that as we read the Book of Mormon, truly read it, that we will know what our purpose is here. If you haven't read it before I would invite you to read it and then take Moroni's challenge [in Moroni chapter 10]!
 
I love you all!!! Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!
 
Till we meet again!!
 
Sister Skaggs


 
Shoutouts: To seeing Bubba and the Cecils this week!! It was good to see you!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment